Students can complete a 3-hour internship to fulfill the major’s Writing Practicum requirement, intended to enhance your experiential learning. If you choose this option (rather than ENC 4275 or ENC 4943), you should plan to take the internship course (ENC 4944) a couple of semesters before graduating.
In order to enroll in the course, you must be a junior and have completed ENC 3331 (Rhetoric and Civic Engagement) and ENC 3836 (Professional Lives and Literacy Practices). You must complete these prerequisites before enrolling in ENC 4944. You cannot count an internship completed for another program or outside of ENC 4944.
Your internship may be paid or unpaid.
Your internship is likely to include some combination of the following activities, but must involve substantial writing-related work:
- Writing and editing
- Working in and with digital environments, including websites, graphics, and visual presentations
- Participating in organizational or intercultural communication strategies
- Conducting professional presentations, meetings, and team building strategies
- Participating in information design and project management
- Developing communication materials for government, education, business, scientific and technical fields, or other related fields
Before enrolling in ENC 4944:
- In the semester prior to beginning your internship, submit your Internship Application Form to the internship coordinator.
- If your internship application is approved, you will be notified and provided a code that allows you to sign up for ENC 4944.
- During the semester prior to your internship, you should prepare to make the most of the experience. Research the organizational culture of the internship choices you listed. This includes dress code, communication norms, time expectations, and professional environment. You should also update your professional portfolio because employers will likely review it.
During the Internship:
- Participate in ENC 4944, graded A-F, which includes online discussions and progress reports related to your internship activities.
- At the beginning of ENC 4944, work with the supervisor at your internship site to complete the Internship Position Form and submit it to the internship coordinator
- Complete 120 hours of writing-related work at/for the internship site.
- Have your internship site supervisor evaluate your performance.
Contact Undergraduate Internship Coordinator, Professor Vanessa Calkins (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions.